Sunday, August 24, 2014

Goodbyes

Goodbye to Spa.  Monza is next, but it isn't as much fun as Spa.  This is my favorite photo of Spa ever ...








































... showing Ayrton Senna, astride the most powerful Formula 1 car in history, poised for the dip into Eau Rouge but speaking metaphorically of the loneliness of the long distance runner.

I know my way around the back roads,
And I've always loved the way the asphalt winds.
But I ain't lost nothing nowhere
I can't find when I'm staring in your eyes.

     -- The Floating Men

Fare well, brave soldier.

Goodbye also to Adrian Newey, the genius responsible for designing the recent four-consecutive-championship-winning Red Bull cars.  Which were so vastly better than their competitors that I can race Mark Webber's car in the simulator and beat most of the field.  I have to feel that the bells of Maranello were ringing the day Newey announced his upcoming retirement from active F1 participation.

Goodbye to Red Bull, by connection.  It will be interesting to see how they do once Newey is gone.  Mid-pack is the thinking here.

Goodbye to Sebastian Vettel for the same reasons.  I hope you're happy with four, because that fifth championship is looking pretty shaky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home