Saturday, October 04, 2014

Hemingway

Fun little bit about Ernest Hemingway in the Times.  I go back and forth on the guy, but last year I read two or three novels, either by him or about him, and got back in the bullfighting groove.

His best line?

"I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her."

Wow.

The line refers to his wife Hadley and, indirectly, the consequences of shitting all over the poor woman.

One of the books I read last year was called The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, a historical novel told from the point of view of Hadley Hemingway.  While neither A Moveable Feast nor chopped liver, I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Not as much as Z, by Therese Anne Fowler, which was the same idea except told from Zelda Fitzgerald's perspective.  But quite a bit.

Here's my obscured box portrait of Gertrude Stein ...

I suppose I shouldn't have used the flash.


1 Comments:

Blogger John Harbour said...

Thanks for that link and I love the GS painting! Hemingway is one of my two writing fathers and I am torn between them. Hemingway and Steinbeck. And as with the paternal relationship I at times hate him, mock him, and realize that I can never be him. That's probably a good thing as outside of the legend he was a bit of a shit. Both were. But as in life, you can't choose your family, in art you can't choose what rings true with your soul.

P.S. Make your way over to my blog today and you might be able to say hello to my greek chorus before he goes off again on another adventure.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home