Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Hot, but not too hot

There is the assumption that Sardi's is the place.  Which it totally isn't.  Or Joe Allen.  Which it sort of is. In case there's a question, we're talking about after-hours Broadway places.  But there's another name that should be floating around on the radar, if only for the time being.  I refer, of course, to the Cafe Edison, which is destined to change from a historic dive frequented by some of Broadway's greatest to some stupid restaurant that, I feel certain, if only for the purposes of this post, will be stunningly mediocre.

Me?  I can't tell you the number of times I sat in the back with Joe Papp and Leonard Bernstein and a collection of fat old carpenters and musicians and stage hands, just shooting the breeze, drinking some of their excellent soup.  It was always hot, but not too hot.

That last part is, of course, not true.

The part about the soup?
No.  That part is true.  But the stuff about Joe and Lenny may, perhaps, exist only in my mind.

The last time I was there I got absolutely hammered with Michelle Williams and Emma Stone.  They were comparing notes on playing the lead in Cabaret (Williams on her way out and Stone on her way in) and I was having some of that excellent soup.  Later we all left together.  The less said the better.

That last part isn't true either, is it?
The part about the soup?
No.  The part about you leaving with two famous actresses.
No.  I think they've both got better things to do than hang out with me in what you might call a meaningful sense.
No doubt.
Hey, a man can dream.

If you want to read something good about the Edison, pop over to my boy Harbour's blog.  Click here for the appropriate post.

I enjoy his work a great deal. 
Me too.
Is it true that he's a terrible shot?
Let me put it this way:  When he takes aim the beagles flee.
Odd.
Yes it is.  But that said, my favorite part of hunting is tramping around in the great outdoors.  Smoking a cigar.  Reflecting on fractal theory, which abounds in the woodlands.  Push comes to shove, I don't really like it that much when I shoot the damned things.
Plus you have to skin them.
Tell me about it.  What a mess.  And they're looking at you the whole time.

All that said, it may be too late for the Edison.  But there's a link on Harbour's blog post where you can click through to to change.org and voice your displeasure.  And that counts for something.  Me?  I voted twice; once for me and once for Lenny.

In closing, let me say I'm going to miss that place.  Particularly the soup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home