Sunday, February 08, 2009

Final Note on Miracles

...at least for today. 'Cause believe me, sometimes you have to wait for the miracle.

Anyway, the whole Who video is a disaster. I mean, it plays (sort of--although there's a lot of re-buffering), but there doesn't seem to be any video at all. Just the photo and a ringtone advert.

This, I would hasten to add, has nothing to do with the quality of the code I wrote.

Me? I got so fired up I went to iTunes to play some Who and found out, much to my surprise, that I didn't own Who's Next. So I bought it.

Now bear with me and check this out. This, cut and pasted, is an excerpt from Wikipedia's Who's Next entry:

Original release

Side one
# Title Length
1. "Baba O'Riley" 5:11
2. "Bargain" 5:33
3. "Love Ain't for Keeping" 2:12
4. "My Wife" (John Entwistle) 3:41
5. "The Song Is Over" 6:16
Side two
# Title Length
6. "Getting in Tune" 4:50
7. "Going Mobile" 3:42
8. "Behind Blue Eyes" 3:42
9. "Won't Get Fooled Again" 8:32

1995 CD reissue

# Title Length
1. "Baba O'Riley" 5:11
2. "Bargain" 5:33
3. "Love Ain't for Keeping" 2:12
4. "My Wife" (John Entwistle) 3:41
5. "The Song Is Over" 6:16
6. "Getting in Tune" 4:50
7. "Going Mobile" 3:42
8. "Behind Blue Eyes" 3:42
9. "Won't Get Fooled Again" 8:32
Bonus tracks
# Title Length
10. "Pure and Easy" 4:22
11. "Baby Don't You Do It" (Holland-Dozier-Holland) 5:14
12. "Naked Eye (live)" 5:31
13. "Water (live)" 6:25
14. "Too Much of Anything" 4:25
15. "I Don't Even Know Myself" 4:56
16. "Behind Blue Eyes (alternative version)" 3:27

Deluxe edition (2003)

Disc one

The first disc of the Deluxe Edition contains the nine tracks from the original album, followed by six outtakes, of which "Getting in Tune" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" were previously unreleased. Each of the six outtakes were recorded during sessions at the Record Plant in New York in March of 1971 – the group abandoned this material and re-recorded five of the six tracks again in England later in the year.

  1. "Baba O'Riley" – 5:01
  2. "Bargain" – 5:33
  3. "Love Ain't for Keeping" – 2:10
  4. "My Wife" – 3:35
  5. "The Song Is Over" – 6:17
  6. "Getting in Tune" – 4:49
  7. "Going Mobile" – 3:43
  8. "Behind Blue Eyes" – 3:42
  9. "Won't Get Fooled Again" – 8:35
  10. "Baby Don't You Do It" – 8:21
    • same version featured on the 1995 CD, but longer.
  11. "Getting in Tune" – 6:36
    • Unreleased alternative version.
  12. "Pure and Easy" – 4:33
    • Same as the 1995 CD, albeit in an alternative mix.
  13. "Love Ain't for Keeping" – 4:06
    • Electric version previously featured on the 1998 reissue of Odds & Sods.
  14. "Behind Blue Eyes" – 3:30
    • Alternate with Al Kooper on organ previously featured on the 1995 CD.
  15. "Won't Get Fooled Again" – 8:48
    • Original New York sessions version.

Disc two

The tracks on the second disc were recorded live at the Young Vic Theatre, London, on 26 April 1971. All of the tracks were previously unreleased except for "Water" and "Naked Eye". Songs played but not included are "Pinball Wizard", "Bony Moronie", "See Me, Feel Me" and "Baby Don't You Do It".

  1. "Love Ain't for Keeping" – 2:57
  2. "Pure and Easy" – 6:00
  3. "Young Man Blues" – 4:47
  4. "Time Is Passing" – 3:59
  5. "Behind Blue Eyes" – 4:49
  6. "I Don't Even Know Myself" – 5:42
  7. "Too Much of Anything" – 4:20
  8. "Getting in Tune" – 6:42
  9. "Bargain" – 5:46
  10. "Water" – 8:19
  11. "My Generation" – 2:58
  12. "(I'm a) Road Runner" – 3:14
  13. "Naked Eye" – 6:21
  14. "Won't Get Fooled Again" – 8:50
Disregard any formatting issues above. I'm only human and I can't write code for everything. There are, according to the big W, three versions of the record. The first one (which I own on vinyl and probably could have saved some money if I'd just shipped it to Dave and let him burn it into mp3s for me--but that's another whole story) is the original LP, nine songs long. Because life is good (intermittently) I'm listening to it as I type. Thought to be one of the best rock and roll albums in history. This is correct thinking.

Now look at the 1995 special version, or whatever they call it. They added a bunch of extraneous materials. Personally, I wish they wouldn't do stuff like this. I mean, if you listened to the whole thing from start to finish, would the critical assessment be that it was the greatest rock album ever, or a bloated wreck filled with crap nobody except obsessives really wants to listen to?

Now look at the 2003 version. There's almost 30 songs.

Are you still with me? Okay. iTunes, God blessum, doesn't have the original album for sale. They do have the other two. The 1995 one costs about 15 bucks. The 2003 one--the one for completists, I guess--costs ten.

How stupid is that?

My theory is to buy the ten dollar one, delete all but the original songs, and after a bunch of hassle I will have arrived at the place I set out for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home