Sunday, February 08, 2009

Meet the new boss...

Out here in the fields I fight for my meals.



Just for the record. I mean, do you think anybody's giving me a weekly paycheck?

I remember when Tim Geithner's name was first floated as a replacement for my boy the Screaming Pope ...



... some smitten soul from perhaps Fox Business News or perhaps (somewhat less likely but entirely possible) CNBC exclaimed that he was extremely handsome.

Me? I don't get it.

I think he's downright strange looking, what with his asymmetrical wad of hair and correspondingly crooked nose, plus that weird little vein popping out of the side of his temple (like an aneurysm waiting for the next bank to blow to do same). That said, there's kind of an avant garde argument to be made for the fact that the nose cancels out the hair--since they go in opposite directions--creating a kind of dynamic symmetry.

Anyway, meet the new boss...



Same as the old boss.

I'm quoting Townshend here because I think that's going to be my opening annotation on "The Annotated Treasury" -- the portrait I've spent part of the weekend squeezing out with an eye towards embracing a 62 degree Wednesday lunch hour on Wall Street.

These would be the complete lyrics, formated flush-right, just for the fun of it.

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgment of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they were all flown in the last war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

Yeah!

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss


And yo--check this out:




Although you are reading this at some distant future point, I, as I type, have no idea whether the imbed of the "Won't Get Fooled Again" video is gonna take. Imbedding is trickier than it looks.

Me? I'm leaving the state of the financial world to guys like Geithner. I'm just picking up my guitar and playing (metaphorically speaking).

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home