Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Stockholm Syndrome

Are you familar with the so-called Stockholm Syndrome? Wikipedia (which, I must tell you, is only safe in the hands of professional writers. Do not attempt this at home) offers:
Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in abducted hostages, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the hostage-taker, regardless of the danger or risk in which they have been placed.
So I was held hostage by the PBS people (The Newshour with Jim Lehrer, if we're capitalizing the "The") yesterday and eventually, against my better judgment, agreed to drag Big Dick Fuld out onto the streets for commentary. What makes it unusual is that the painting isn't even really done. The forehead, in particular, remains a bit of a disaster. I hadn't even signed the thing.

Nonetheless, one has to support public broadcasting so I did my part. In a perfect world I'd pop up an image of the painting as it stands now. But this, dear reader, is not a perfect world. I'll do it later today. I will tell you in advance that I was pleased with the general level of commentary received in front of the Stock Exchange. It (using the collective singular) will make a lovely bed upon which the green Lehman comments can rest.

The modified plan, as it now unfolds subsequent to the PBS thing, is to shelve the painting until the 14th and 15th of September, where I'll attempt to display it in front of the old Lehman building--now Barklay's. Ex- and current employees get green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home