Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's grand, really ...

... how something as cockeyed as the way "The Indictable Fuld" looks right now will, experience tells me, turn into something else entirely. I use the term "something else entirely" without prejudice. But I do know that this will, in fact, turn into something else. For good or bad.

And that's the grandeur of the thing. "Thing", in this case, meaning the painting (gerund), not the painting (noun).
Shouldn't the comma after "Thing" fall inside the closing quotation mark?
Some would say yes.
Most, one would suggest.
Well I've completely abandoned that approach. If the thing one is quoting is to be quoted accurately, it should be quoted without punctuation other than those marks that are, in fact, part of the thing being quoted.
Nicely said.
Thank you.
Kind of like "Eats, Shoots and Leaves."
Kind of. I see you put the period inside the closing quote mark, so it's not exactly like that.
But close?
Yes.
And just the briefest of tangents--Where do you stand on Oxford commas?
I love 'em.
Back to the matter at hand, I don't have time to give you a sequence. It doesn't even exist, photographically speaking. This ain't no mud club. No CBGBs. I ain't got time for that now. Moving too quickly. But I know how you people are, so I'm giving you this:



As a gift.

I'm experimenting with painting on a table, of a sort, so I couldn't actually get the camera high enough too get to the edge of the frame. But this gives you the gist of the thing.

I love the idea of getting out on the street with it on Thursday, and I understand that my productivity tomorrow (what with it being St. Patrick's Day and in order to have a front row seat for the bagpipe band at McManus--which happens around 6 or so--I'm gonna have to get there by 2:30 or so) is gonna take a hit. So I've been working hard tonight.

What I haven't done is turn the thing upright and take a long hard look at it.

That comes tomorrow morning, at which point some fundamental structural problems will have to be addressed.

But for tonight, I'm giving you that one image. And the lyrics to Life During Wartime--Fear of Music:
Heard of a van that is loaded with weapons
packed up and ready to go

Heard of some gravesites, out by the highway,
a place where nobody knows
The sound of gunfire, off in the distance,
I'm getting used to it now
Lived in a brownstore, lived in the ghetto,
I've lived all over this town

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now

Transmit the message, to the receiver,
hope for an answer some day
I got three passports, a couple of visas,
you don't even know my real name
High on a hillside, the trucks are loading,
everything's ready to roll
I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nightime,
I might not ever get home

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
This ain't no mudd club, or CBGB,
I ain't got time for that now

Heard about Houston? Heard about Detroit?
Heard about Pittsburgh, P. A.?
You oughta know not to stand by the window
somebody might see you up there
I got some groceries, some peant butter,
to last a couple of days
But I ain't got no speakers, ain't got no
heaphones, ain't got no records to play

Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
Gonna be different this time
Can't write a letter, can't send a postcard,
I can't write nothing at all
This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
I'd like to kiss you, I'd love you hold you
I ain't got no time for that now

Trouble in transit, got through the roadblock,
we blended with the crowd
We got computer, we're tapping pohne lines,
I know that ain't allowed
We dress like students, we dress like housewives,
or in a suit and a tie
I changed my hairstyle, so many times now,
I don't know what I look like!
You make me shiver, I feel so tender,
we make a pretty good team
Don't get exhausted, I'll do some driving,
you ought to get some sleep
Get you instructions, follow directions,
then you should change your address
Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day,
whatever you think is best
Burned all my notebooks, what good are
notebooks? They won't help me survive
My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
the burning keeps me alive
Try to stay healthy, physical fitness,
don't want to catch no disease
Try to be careful, don't take no chances,
you better watch what you say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home