Monday, March 19, 2012

Rachel Ruysch

This is quite something:



Rachel Ruysch, "Still-Life with Bouquet of Flowers and Plums", 1704. My girl Rachel was one of the big hitters in Dutch golden age painting. Double click the thing and look closely. Mmmm. And 1704! That's an old one.

It makes me think of one of my wedding dress paintings. I can't believe I don't have a picture of it, but it consists of an actual wedding dress attached to a black canvas so the unzipped back faces forward. Out of the dress comes a spray of dripped flowers, very much in the spirit of Ruysch and her buddies.

The good news is that you can actually see it in "Peace, Love and Misunderstanding", the Jane Fonda movie coming out this Summer. I don't understand why nobody from the film contacted me about permission to use my work. Nonetheless, you can see it there and then.

It's lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home