Sunday, December 08, 2013

Thinking Out Loud Just Prior to the Giants Game

I'm giving some thought to a new stylistic venture.  We've discussed The Obscured Box Technique many times, one of the finest examples of which is Portrait of A Portrait of Gertie Stein ...

And I've always been a fan of Chuck Close's use of the grid (although one certainly doesn't want to end up as a Chuck Close copycat -- there's only one of him) ...

And some of his new work I find tremendously compelling ...

And there's always Warhol, hanging around in the background, with his Polaroids ...

Although I don't know what kind of camera Andy was using, because the traditional Polaroid format has more white on the bottom ...

And, of course, there's this magical sequence of squares that eventually became a portrait of my friend Rosey ...













And I always say to myself that the first, second and third images from the top, had I entered into the process with such a result in mind, could have each been final images, ends unto themselves, not points along the way.

And every once in a while I come across this ...

Which, technically speaking, is the gist of the thing.

Gaaaah!  Can you just get on with it?
Okay.  But just one more photo before I wind things up?
Fine.

And there's this deeply imperfect painting of Bronx politician slash conman Pedro Espada, which really starts to get to the root of my thinking ...

And I thought wouldn't something like this (created on my desktop) be an interesting way to do a series of paintings ...


Because I really like this version of Rosey's portrait ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home