Monday, March 10, 2014

True Detective

Have you watched the thing?  If not, remain calm -- you'll find no significant spoilers here.  But I would recommend that you immediately do so, even if you can't bear that knuckle-head McConaughey.  Because he's quite extraordinary in this.

It ended last night with a finale to which I'd give a solid B+.  I remember a couple of days ago saying to a friend that I didn't see how they were possibly going to tie together the number of loose strings generated by the previous seven episodes.  Which is pathetic, really -- that need for resolving loose strings, but which is now I suppose required, given the Breaking Bad finale's bravura tie-up-job.

A place for everything and everything in its place -- that was our TV watching motto, up until last night.  Because last night nobody tied anything up.  I mean, they get the bad guy and such, but not much else was resolved.  Which I admire.

I think I may go back and re-watch the whole series.  Which wouldn't be the end of the world.  True Detective is, not unlike the lair of its villain, a complicated labyrinth packed with symbols, resonance, disembodied voices and a collection of little bits of this and that, all plucked in a cunning way from the twisted brain of creator Nic Pizzolatto.  I do believe it would reward a second viewing.  And it's only 8 episodes, so honestly.

And since we're talking about finales, here's the inevitable Suzanne Pleshette photo ...

Who wouldn't want to wake up next to her?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home