Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Lies We're Told

Politicians lie all the time.  If it wasn't such a business-normal behavior one might throw up.  The lie you always hear American politicians say is that we're the greatest country in the world.  This is debatable, depending on one's definition of greatness.  The one you hear Republicans saying most recently is that hey, the ramifications of a default by the United States aren't really that big a deal.  This has nothing to do with their expertise in macroeconomics, but rather their desire to obfuscate and misdirect.  The irony is palpable, given that the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank (a group of people who actually are experts in macroeconomics) happen to be having a meeting in New York this week, and they seem to think differently.

It's worth noting that my girl Christine Lagarde is by no means a stooge for the United States (much less the Democrats).  So when she describes the potential for a "massive disruption the world over" in the event of a US default, one would think this should hold some water.

This is like one of those "Should we bail out AIG?" moments.  Not really sure what would happen if we didn't, but do we really want to find out?  I mean, what would happen if the worst-case scenario actually unfolded?  Not some middle-of-the-road screw up of the world economy, but the actual worst-case scenario?

Do you remember the massive blackout of the eastern seaboard that happened maybe ten years ago?  I remember I was still living in New Jersey and commuting to work through the Port Authority.  I also remember realizing as I got into New York that morning that I didn't have any cash on me.  But I was running late so I walked past the ATM machines in the lobby, saying to myself I'd get some money later in the day.  Then all the electricity went off and, I can promise you, when the electricity is off the cash machines don't work.  I wonder if they work in the event of the worst-case scenario.

This is why I now have all my money in Krugerrands.  Here are just a few ...

I keep them in the trunk of my car, under the spare tire.  And I keep one in my sock at all times, except when I'm wearing sandals.

Farther upstate, at an undisclosed location, I maintain a female goat, five hens and a rooster.  Because they, like Krugerrands, are electricity-independent.  Plus two hundred gallons of drinking water and a Hoyt Spider 30.

Not familiar with a Hoyt Spider?  Here's a picture ...

Sweeeeeet.  
I know.  I mean, really.

Plus one hundred arrows.

Plus a Colt Python with an 8-inch barrel (and a 2X Leupold sight).  Plus ammo.  I don't have an assault rifle because I'm not a crazy person.  I do, however, have a shotgun.  Plus ammo.

And a Redbone Coonhound named Urbig ...

And a ghillie suit ...

Mine's actually greener than this, but I didn't have a good picture of it.

So there's a part of me that thinks:  Cool.  Let it rain.  But I tamp that down because I'm not a crazy person.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And an Abenaki Dreamcatcher in case all else fails

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home