Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sundaaaay!

At Aquasco Speedwaaaay!

If you grew up listening to the radio in the Washington metropolitan area the chances are good you heard somebody shout this at you.

Those, my friend, were simpler times.  Aquasco Speedway is, sadly, closed.  But on Sundaaaaay of this very week, half way across the globe, the Grand Prix season will kick off in Melbourne, Australia.

Lord have mercy.

There's a bit of a dark cloud over the proceedings, given Michael Schumacher's ever more grim prognosis.  But the good news is that the Renault people -- the very people who make Sebastian Vettel's engine -- have had a difficult spring.

This, as you likely know, is the season in which the new, smaller V-6 engines are introduced.

And everything changes when the engines change.  And if it takes Renault a while to get its shit together, the chances of somebody else winning an occasional race seem greatly enhanced.  Perhaps even the world championship.

Because, honestly, enough is enough.

Related sports note:  There's also a fair chance that The University of Thomas Jefferson, the original Jefferson's Airplane, will be playing some version of Duke or Syracuse for the ACC Championship.

So that should be a rich, full day.

I'll leave you with this picture of the hairpin turn at Montreal ...

I saw this picture out of context but knew it was the Canadian GP because two years ago I was sitting in the grandstands right next to the tiny car at about the 9 o'clock position in the photo.  Which would have been great seats if not for one stupid tree obscuring the view.

Sit facies incipiet.  Which is, of course, Latin for Let The Spectacle Begin.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Harbour said...

Here's my thoughts and prediction. The driver outweighs the tech. Yes there are issues, yes there is a new engine, but I still predict that Red Bull will do well, nay, win, in Australia. We'll chat on Monday...

6:55 PM  
Blogger John Harbour said...

Here's my thoughts and prediction. The driver outweighs the tech. Yes there are issues, yes there is a new engine, but I still predict that Red Bull will do well, nay, win, in Australia. We'll chat on Monday...

Oh, and I'm too big of a friend to mention the Maryland, VA game.

Oh, wait, I just mentioned it didn't I? Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to. Although you'll do better in the ACC Tourney. But I will live with the memory of last weekend until my last.

Back to F1. My prediction: Red Bull won't run away with it like last year, but will still take the trophy.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home