Monday, August 11, 2014

I can't stop thinking about boxes

I have this image in my mind of colossal rectilinear sculptures made out of the kinds of cardboard boxes my speakers came in, and pizza cartons, vintage circular hat boxes, and those weird foamy/cardboardy things that they package eggs in.

Glue the whole thing together.  Spray paint it black.  Then endless coats of non-yellowing polyurethane, so it ends up feeling more like a surfboard than a cardboard box.  If you're with me.

Kind of a Tony Smith kind of a thing, but not really ...

And possibly, just out of the blue (honk), glued in some out of the way place, in an unobtrusive manner, one of those little blue boxes they give you at Tiffany's.

Also possibly, wall mounted.  Not the Tiffany's box, which may, truth be told, be a terrible, fatuous, self-indulgent bit of kitsch, but the sculpture itself.  I mean, what's the point of using a lightweight material like cardboard if you can't just nail it to a wall?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home