Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Lunch

Toast two slices of rye bread, seeded.  [By seeded here I don't mean that one removes the seeds, the way one might remove the seeds of a tomato or a cucumber to avoid bitterness in cooking.  I mean that it's the kind of rye bread that comes with seeds.  Caraway seeds.]

Cover the toast with slices of some tasty cheese.  Cheddar works perfectly; I happened to have had some modest thing with jalapeƱo peppers in it that needed eating.

Cover the cheese with slices of tomato from the back yard.

Sprinkle the tops of the tomatoes with fresh dill, finely chopped, and crumbled bits of bleu cheese.  [God almighty, as I type that last line I worry that I'm going to drool on my keyboard.]  Salt and pepper to taste.

Put the assemblage under the broiler for a minute or two.  Two might be too many.  90 seconds, perhaps.  Just enough to melt the cheese and get the tomatoes hot, which happens in reverse order.

Remove from heat, transfer to plate.  Garnish with one of your refrigerator pickles which have been pickling since Thursday and haven't blossomed into their fullness yet, but when you want a pickle you want a pickle.  And I can promise you that they are now definitely pickles.

Lunch.  I wish I'd taken a picture.

Note on pickles:  There's a strong vinegar taste to them.  It's understood that vinegar is an integral part of pickles, but I'm thinking it's at about a 7 when it should be at a 5.  I'm considering adding some sugar to try to tone it down, although that feels a lot like something to do with the horses and the barn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home