Friday, September 12, 2014

Mass Effect

A funny thing happened the other day.  I was reading something about something and Guns 'n' Roses came up.  You may remember my chronological review of the time I went to see Mr. Brownstone, the GnR cover band at the Bowery Ballroom and came away thinking it was one of the best concerts of the year.  Top twenty of my life.

So I started thinking about the band -- which, truth be told, I didn't really care for -- then went on Rdio, my music streaming service, and took a look at their albums.  Use Your Illusion, One and Two, Appetite for Destruction, etc.  And I said to myself maybe I should just listen to every original Guns 'n' Roses album ever -- there aren't that many -- just to kind of fill in the experiential hole.

Then I decided that was a stupid idea.  I mean, if I'm gonna do something like that I'd probably be better off aiming a little higher and listening to every Metallica album instead.  So I shelved the whole idea, went Down to the River and purchased, for barely more than an afternoon of Bud Lights and Jack Daniels at my favorite bar might cost me, namely twenty bucks, the Mass Effect trilogy.  Which, if you're not in the loop, is a trio of video games.

IGN, the gaming website, writes ...

It is ... perhaps the most interesting and engaging story ever told in gaming.

I don't usually skew towards space opera, but how do you say no to that?  I am boldly going where no man has gone before (except, of course, the several million teenagers and slackers that have played Mass Effect before me).  Plus, I got used to shooting things with massive weapons playing Wolfenstein.  So I'm good to go.

The UPS guy dropped it off today.  To get myself fired up I'm listening to Welcome to the Jungle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home