Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Pulitzer

I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed III lately, much of which takes place in the wilderness north and west of Boston in the mid- to late-1700s.  And I'm a big fan of The Last of the Mohicans, the Daniel Day-Lewis movie which took place around the same time.  I'm less a fan of the James Fenimore Cooper novel by the same name, simply because I've never read it.  But how can it be better than that movie?  Anyway, whenever I hear the name Monro I can't help but think of Madeline Stowe and her sister and her insufferable red-coat Colonel of a father, the infamous Edmund Monro.

Less so Alice Monro.  Because obviously my priorities are all fucked up.  She is, of course, the Canadian writer who just won the Pulitzer Prize.

I love their national anthem.
Me too.

Like Cooper, I've never read a single thing by her.  It's a personal failing, but I shy away from short stories.  The exception that proves the rule being my recent great enjoyment of This Is How You Lose Her, a collection of stories by Junot Diaz.  The man is a genius with Dominican street slang.

That evil Magua was a freak out, wasn't he?
Yes he was.  I'm glad he got his.
Me too.  Although I didn't cry too many tears when he cut the heart out of Colonel Munro.
He prolly ate it.
Like Daenerys Targaryen eating that horse heart in Game of Thrones.
Something like that, but not exactly.

This is Wes Studi, who played Magua, here channeling his inner Uruk-hai.  Apparently, the man can do anything.

If you're not in the mood to watch the whole movie, everything you need to know about The Last of the Mohicans is included in this five-minute version.  I apologize for the cheesy Enya-wanna-be soundtrack.  The movie won an Oscar for sound (which might not be the same as soundtrack) and this song either wasn't on it or was buried in credits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home